Wednesday, July 22

The Week Thus Far

So...my week. We got a new attending...who I've decided I don't much care for after 3 days of working for him. Let's see...yesterday. We have a heart failure patient with A. fib. The person is on diltiazem (which actually slows down the heart and could actually worsen heart failure). I, along with the chief resident, recommended that we switch the person to a beta blocker for rate control since it was recommended for their ejection fraction of less than 40%. The attending ignored us and said that the person's PCP could take care of it. Oy! Today the attending was being more arrogant about talking about how other attendings do things wrong and always laughs at them and his own little jokes in his stupid little laugh....at least I only have 7 more days!

Yesterday I was driving to Louisville for my weekly cornhole tournament at Kenna's Korner. I got so far as the Lawrenceburg exit and I hit a traffic jam. It took me an hour to get 10 miles...and thus I missed cornhole. So once I got to the next exit I turned back around and drove the 30 minutes back into Lexington to Hamburg...luckily I saw Anna and talked to her for a bit. I miss my friends from school:(

I also miss Adam. He has been in Wisconsin since last Thursday. He won't be back until Sunday night or Monday morning b/c he's going to Chicago this weekend. I have Bunco on Friday...and I think I might drive to Bowling Green for the weekend after Bunco b/c I miss my parents and I will be bored at home. I am cherishing my family more than ever after being around all these patients in the hospital. I really, really understand how great of a life my parents have given me.

Here are a few examples of the cases we've had: One woman was on the floor and then sent to the ICU b/c she got a pulmonary embolism. After disappearing to her bathroom for 10 minutes she was found in the floor passed out with 2 syringes and a milky white substance. The substance ended up being ground up percocet and flush fluid. She was discharged and has come back with hypoglycemia. It is believed that she may be injecting herself with insulin to make herself sick to get attention. Another person came in for medical alcohol detox. A bottle of vodka was found in his room and he appeared drunk. His alcohol lab test went from 1 to 97...proof. Needless to say he was discharged...and the chief resident saw him coming from the liquor store with a package in his hand...it's really just sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment